Straight Talk Support Group Needs Your Generosity Today
Straight Talk’s fall Generosity campaign began on October 12th.
You have the opportunity today – right now – to make a difference in the lives of people experiencing the trauma of having a family member or friend in prison or going through the disorientation of re-entering society. These are families in crisis, and you can make a difference in their lives by helping Straight Talk Support Group.
You can do now it at https://www.generosity.com/community-fundraising/services-for-families-in-crisis
We’re here to listen.
Straight Talk exists so that families and friends of people in jail or prison can exchange emotional support, coping skills, knowledge, and inspiration.
We come together twice a month to support one another through all of the trials and tribulations that come with loving someone who is in jail or prison. Come share with us.
We want to grow with you.
Straight Talk is run by people like you who are looking for support as they deal with the realities of having a loved one in jail or prison. We want you to join so we can be there for you and so you can be there for us.
We want you to join Straight Talk so that you can receive all of the following:
- Coping resources
- Communication Skills
- Knowledge about the corrections system
- Problem-solving Advice
- A support network
We respect your privacy.
All support group meetings are completely confidential. We will not share your information with any outside sources and all members agree to keep everything that is said at Straight Talk inside of Straight Talk’s walls.
We stay informed.
Straight Talk is primarily a support group, but we also strive to help our members stay abreast of the many changes in the correctional system.
In order to provide our members with the best information possible we sometimes invite outside speakers to share their views, stories, and encouragements. Previous speakers include:
- John Collins, Human Kindness Foundation
- Wayne Daye, Author and Counselor
- Ellie Kinnaird, Former NC Senator
- Melissa Ratcliff, Our Children’s Place
- Kendra Rossa, Children in Education
- Ann Shy, Attorney
- Dr. Anthony Smith, Therapist
- Rev. James W. Smith, Pastor, Author, and Former Inmate
- Carol Staton, Energy Medicine
- Mary Ward, Department of Public Safety
We want to help.
Straight Talk provides a space for members to work together to help each other. We offer two special services for members of the group:
- A crisis line for members who need to talk about their problems or seek advice, and
- A share-a-ride program for helping members without reliable means of transportation reach loved ones who are far away.